Are you at risk of flooding?
With around one in six homes in the UK at risk of flooding, the chances of buying a flood-prone property might be higher than you think. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) found that fewer than a third of house hunters research the flood risk of a property before buying. Although most properties are not at risk of flooding, millions are, even in areas that are not immediately waterside.
The ABI tried to encourage estate agents to include on property listings the flood risk indicators but there has been little uptake of these because of a perception that they could discourage buyers from even considering high risk properties. If you are moving into a property, you need to take responsibility for checking its flood risk yourself.
Our simplified and interactive map can help you identify whether your location is susceptible to flooding then further work may be necessary. The map is an indicator of an area’s flood risk, particularly the likelihood of surface water flooding. It does not include the flood risk from sources such as blocked drains and burst pipes.
If your current or future home is located in a possible flooding area it’s not necessarily mean there whether the property will flood but it is necessary to carry out a Flood Risk Assessment.
The map informs you of the estimated flood probabilities to understand how likely your location is to be flooded.
Raise awareness on flood risk as it’s not currently mandatory for a survey to show the risks.
Compare flood risk levels in dwellings with Environmental Quality information to allow buyers to make informed decisions.
Assist stakeholders to reduce risks in developing their infrastructure strategies further based on validated data.
How do we do it?
Collecting the Right Data
We are connected to receive up-to-date data directly from the national flood warning agencies.
Making Data Ready for Use
Data collected and sent to a data server within a cloud system that processes the information and provides conclusions through our experts.
Flood Risk Map
We map the data and make it easier to read, providing other related information that allow people to compare and see patterns and main affected areas.
Did You Know?
- One in six properties in England (around 5.2 million properties) are at risk of flooding from rivers or the sea, one million of which are also at risk of surface water flooding
- In the UK flooding is estimated to result in annual damage costs of around £1 Billion.
- Around 2.4 million UK properties are at risk from river and coastal flooding each year. A further 2.8 million properties are susceptible to surface water flooding.
- 40% of businesses do not reopen after suffering from a flood.
- The mental health impact of flooding can be prevalent for more than 2 years.